A PHILOSOPHICALLY BASED LIFE TESTIMONY OF WONDROUS POSSIBILITY OF ETERNAL EXISTENTIALITY GROUNDED IN THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, HE THE LITERAL MANIFESTATION OF PURE REALITY.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Know Thyself


Socrates said, “Know thyself,” meaning that one should spend time to know their own self before understanding obscure matters of the universe one could not possibly comprehend. In the search for the knowledge of reality, an authentic place to start is surely within the self before looking to the incomprehensible for understanding. 

Thus it follows with Shakespeare whose Polonius in Hamlet says: “This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day,
 Thou canst not then be false to any man.” Polonius echoes Socrates’ cry of truth that reality cannot be without truth to the self as sure as night follows the day. He carries this reality further that, “Thou canst not then be false to any man.” It appears, therefore, that reality exists where there is truth and ceases to exist where there is not truth. 

In the King James Bible, Matthew 7: 12 “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.” That in reality there exists truth and that truth is the substance of that reality is a fundamental standard that is maintained by the principle according to this golden rule. 

Accordingly, one must find a balance within the self, such as is made perfect in the golden rule, answered to in the conscience. If one might find a golden rule to all things in living, a fullness of integrity may be discovered whereby one might find truth and a reality of existence in that existence, one might truly know themselves for a surety and may trust securely in their knowledge of self as God sees them. One might feel peace, in living with a life of integrity, that they are their sure self, and that life is being realized in authenticity as sanctioned by God in this mortal existence. A path of honesty, along a sure path of integrity, is a genuine means whereby one might know their authentic self in this life and a surer way to experience the joys of eternal reality here on earth.

This is all applicable to the honorable soul whose life has led to a point of fruition where this level of nobility can be met.  But how is one to arrive at such a venerable stage, not impossible, but something difficult and only accomplished by a soul who truly lives truly?

As the early existentialists proposed of the essence of life… choice, choice and more choices.  This is well and good, but there are different degrees to which one is capable and free enough to make their own choices.  Life is as much limited as it is free for the best of us.  We have to take the failures with the triumphs. But, if we live temporally and simply take them as matter-of-factly, one misses out on the great adventure of life.

To find “balance within the self” is of the kind to be in a state of harmony that is self aligned and self knowing that is celestial bound; no crowd follower with heavy set dark eyes, black lipstick, dyed purple hair with dark roots, and wearing one tank top over the other with large black pants with belts hanging off… this is an extreme example of a common “worldly” style maintained by the young desperate to fit in.  But for those of us whom have made it though out teens, to live a celestial eternity one must look the part, the soul must radiate the part, the spirit must emanate the part, and the mind must be in-tuned with the part.  None of us will ever be completely “there" in this life but we can come closer to a celestial state of being everyday through an attitude of charity that is permanently fixed and a life of integrity based on reality.

As we get closer and we do have to make deliberate life decisions, we may either choose the path that the “world” sets for us that promises a track position, a large salary with top benefits, a job desired for a long while for the wrong reasons.  Or, follow the feeling in your heart that is whole and full when you think of the secondary job that will require a downgrade in lifestyle and less of what you might want of the material life, but it is what the Lord wants for you and you know it and cannot with any integrity deny it.

We are faced with these choices all of our lives. Myself with schizoaffective disorder, for the first 5 years of my illness, until I found my self securely at the University of Utah and securely on my way to a study of art history, even though all sides told me I would never make any money, I had been listening and holding to the hand of the Lord for comfort and guidance through every minute turn through those blackest of first 5 years of black schizophrenia and bipolarism and there is not a chance in the universe that I could have walked a step, taken a breath, made a reasoned thought, with out Him.  I had been so used to following that good and full feeling in my heart I was not about to stop now.  

Still arm in arm, as I turn 40 in three months, it is only becoming more exciting.  The Lord continued and continues to guide me as I face a promotion as an art critic I could never have foreseen, my schizophrenia is in remission, my faith is a rock, my finances are solid, the relationships in my life are full and abundant, my house is in order… all mercifully thanks to Him.  All of this amounts to one fine point.  I can learn to understand myself, to know my self, not through any soupy subjectivity; the more you look into the mirror the more confused you get.  You define yourself by the choices you make.

I can define myself and "know myself" as humble, as trusting, as brave, as fallible yet still honest and full of integrity, as a fighter and a believer, intelligent, loving, sincere, real, and true to who I am as a son of God and as a worshipper of my Savior who made my life possible.  

Since graduate school I have become so many more important things than those mentioned above, but I need not list them, I know what they are… I know who I am, I know my self.
I repeat:

Accordingly, one must find a balance within the self, such as is made perfect in the golden rule, answered to in the conscience. If one might find a golden rule to all things in living, a fullness of integrity may be discovered whereby one might find truth and a reality of existence in that existence, one might truly know themselves for a surety and may trust securely in their knowledge of self as God sees them. One might feel peace, in living with a life of integrity, that they are their sure self, and that life is being realized in authenticity as sanctioned by God in this mortal existence. A path of honesty, along a sure path of integrity, is a genuine means whereby one might know their authentic self in this life and a surer way to experience the joys of eternal reality here on earth.

2 comments:

  1. You truly have a gift with words, coupled with the Spirit. If you have nothing to hide and are true to yourself, others will genuinely know of your character. Honesty and integrity will speak through not just your words but through your countenance. The Temple is the ultimate achievement in this life and the only place we can fully understand our existence. This houses the blessings that are intended for each of us, giving us purpose and reason to render our integrity for all that we come in contact with. In this manner, the Gospel helps us achieve the unattainable, in man's terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    I love your thoughts,
    As you know, I was only endowed as of December 27, of last year, so the Temple is still very fresh and new to me. A core reality of my testimony is built upon my faith and belief, my knowledge of the Temple, and that it is the purest source of truth in this life. I did not recognize this right away. I realized this through the Spirit. As I left the Temple for the first time, last December, my heart had been filled and my "spirits" were lifted as never before. As I enjoyed dinner and my new altered state of existence with my family, I did not know what it was that effectuated this change in me. Upon my second visit, a few days later with my mother, as I sat in silence, I felt as if my heart would burst... I literally had never felt my heart filled to that capacity. As it happened, I was reading the Doctrine and Covenants at the time. Each book I read was a revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith manifest by the Holy Ghost. Not only did my heart feel full with these words but I felt the distinctive Spirit of the words issued from the Temple and I knew that Spirit to be the same. Therefore, as I know the scriptures to be true, the Temple offers the most profound source of eternal and celestial truths manifest through the Spirit that is accessible to each of us while in mortality. For us to keep that Spirit within us... we have to keep ourselves oriented to the right and the good and a source of integrity is integral to this. Thank you for allowing me to share this testimony, Jason. E

    ReplyDelete