A PHILOSOPHICALLY BASED LIFE TESTIMONY OF WONDROUS POSSIBILITY OF ETERNAL EXISTENTIALITY GROUNDED IN THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, HE THE LITERAL MANIFESTATION OF PURE REALITY.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Alone to Alone


I don’t know why or what is the purpose of life’s more difficult challenges, I just know there is reason and there is a purpose. Whether we learn this over the course of this lifetime or we realize it in the next is incidental, the only thing that matters is to stay faithful and endure. I don’t like to be defined by my trials but there is such a ubiquitous effect caused by being born into an LDS family with deep seeded LDS heritage and that being a faith you believe absolutely and love dearly only to realize you are attracted to the same sex. 

The most pronounced effect may be the sudden isolation and detachment that is felt from what you know is right and something inside of you that you know is not right. The mind reacts quickly and the blame, guilt and shame of self loathing is quick and sudden and the isolation real. Even more ubiquitous effects are caused by scizoaffective disorder, a combination of full blown bipolarism and schizophrenia. 

Everything you were, understood, believed, the ground you stood on, the reality you knew is swiftly taken away and in its place is a constant state of psychosis that is the mix of so many things, ugly things. The isolation felt from this effect is frighteningly real. You are suddenly alone in the universe, you are worthless, damned, unfit, better to not have been born, a curse, a scourge. 

The ability to breech the divide between what is happening internally with the external world, effective communication and understanding… this is an impossibility as one does not have a conception of the illness, just the path of delusion one is compelled to follow. This is beyond loneliness, this is being alone. With a disconnect from that which I loved caused by self-loathing and the disconnect of a psychotic mind, one is a cork adrift on a dark and tempest tossed sea. 

I live alone now, I am settled, established, secure and very happy but I am no longer alone as I once was. The transition from being alone to being alone but the kind of alone that I can appreciate, the kind of alone where I can listen to strange classical music nobody likes, keep odd hours, eat a unique and strange diet, watch obscure films, have odd habits, keep an odd schedule and take care of my needs as only I know how after 18 years, all of this is conducive and necessary to my peace…this alone I now embrace. 

This also includes love of self and love of others and involves an awareness and acceptance that others love me. How was this transition from darkness into light, so rapid and so sure, possible? It has everything to do with faith. My sense of the reality of the gospel is absolute. What I learned in this transition is truth so unequivocal it can never be denied. The Gospel gave me my sense of self back and I am a secure person as I have never known myself to be. I have self-respect and past wrongs are let go and I look to a future of absolute freedom from same sex attraction liberated of that thing inside of me that is not right and free of the self-loathing conceptions of myself. 

The Gospel allows me to be a man vastly better than I was before, what I knew is now my own and absolute, what I believe is akin to knowledge, and the ground I stand on is sure like a rock with the Gospel of Jesus Christ being the reality in my life. The definitive act of my transition from alone to alone happened at the Oakland Temple on December 27th of last year. It was a whirl but I finally “got it.” As my sister walked towards me in white, together with every member of my immediate family, the awareness in the form of knowledge came to me perfectly, “This is my sister, not just for today but for all eternity,” and as I held her tears flowed freely from my eyes as they had never flowed before. That was the moment I stopped being alone and became alone.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful ehren. I think you are more spiritual and talented than you even know. You have special challenges but also some very special gifts. I feel lucky to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly. You know the effect that the Gospel has had on my life. You have seen it. I really appreciate your words. If I am "more spiritual and talented" it is for the purpose of service... that I have dedicated my life repeatedly to the Lord. To serve by teaching through art and to inspire and give courage through my example... I cannot think of a greater purpose for my life than that. Everything is for the best, and Kells, I say with real choking tears, something I could not possibly have said before this moment, I would do it over again if I had to be because this is what I am supposed to do. I love you very much and your inspiration to me. EEC

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I am an adent connoisseur of the Buchert "Yes," as I fully appreciate its value and fine qualities. I love you lots lady.

      Delete
  3. You will always be your biggest critic. You are an instrument in the Lord's hands. He speaks freely through you. I enjoy this transition and it is still fitting for this blog. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason you are my man! I love life! That I can go through these ties of things and it can ultimately be such an overwhelmingly positive thing that can benefit others. The reality of that is a miracle and sublime. I have decided that, along with my philosophical approach, I want to have each post centered on the reality of my transformation that was so acute and is so absolute. Bearing in ming so many stories, ideas, memories, daily happenings, further testimony, interests, pursuits, hopes, relationships, so much so very much... I can use this core reality of my life to show the world the reality of the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in so many vicissitudes. BTW check out my revised subheading. I thought that needed some tailoring.
    Thanks a bunch Jason,
    Your Friend EEC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ehren, you are one of the most incredible people I have ever known. Your faith is SO strong. You are an inspiration to me. This post really touched me and it was exactly what I needed tonight. I'll tell you more about it the next time I see you. Thank you for writing something so honest and so inspiring. You are a blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci Rachel.
    It is a funny phenomenon how as much as our faith endorses realism, what a relativist perspective we cling on to. For me it was a very hard thing marginalizing myself in the Gospel ALWAYS with brother or sister so and so, not singular but plural from every direction who knew it all and who were the embodiment of it all. As we our testimony truly develops, as our understanding of the truth f the gospel grows via a closeness with the Spirit and the Lord and a prayerful relationship with Heavenly Father, as we come to know truth, we come to understand how we ourselves, although know a great deal and are tremendous sons and daughters of God, are so limited and this is true of each and every one of us. No one in this life is free of this life... mortality and the limitations it places upon us discludes NOONE and as much as we would like to put our relief society president or elders quorum president on a pedestal, as tempting as this may be... they face the same confining and confounding limitations of mortality as every one of us. In short, we must always hold our heads very high, especially those of us who choose to exercise faith in our lives and utilize the ubiquitous and ever-reaching omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent power of the atonement in our lives. One last thought for you, dear friend, and we have discussed this, but I want to remind you, the most noble souls are those who are truly tested. God wants to push you to your very limit so he can say at the bar, "This is Rachel Blackmer, look at all she is capable of, see what she now merits." You were indeed chosen for these last days, you saved my life and I will save others thanks to you. You will have everything you desire Rachel, as your brother in the priesthood I promise you this.

    ReplyDelete